RN to BSN Online Completion Program
The BSN program for registered nurses at Iowa Wesleyan University is designed for the practicing nurse. Coursework can be completed on a part-time basis with all courses available online. Nurses earn their BSN in one to two years. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is awarded upon satisfactory completion of a minimum of 120 semester hour program of study. Credit towards graduation can be gained by a variety of methods through the Iowa Articulation Plan. This may include direct transfer from accredited colleges, Iowa Articulation courses, CLEP examinations, validation of previous courses passed in nursing, and taking courses. Transfer credit from a community or junior college can be included in the first 60 hours. Thereafter, college credit is transferrable. Upon successful completion of the first two Iowa Wesleyan Nursing courses, up to 38 credit hours of prior nursing education will be released to the student’s record. A total of 90 hours may be accumulated. The final 30 semester hours must be completed at Iowa Wesleyan University. At least 30 hours of course work at the 300-level or higher must be taken at Iowa Wesleyan University.
The registered nurse submits an application to the Adult and Graduate Studies Office. Transcripts are evaluated individually and the information is provided outlining the remaining coursework needed to earn the BSN. Mandatory requirements (as described in the Nursing Student Handbook) must be met before classes begin.
Nursing Courses in the RN to BSN completion program are:
- NUR 301 Bridge to Professional Nursing 4 hrs.
- NUR 405 Nursing Care in the Community 4 hrs.
- NUR 410 Nursing Leadership and Management 3 hrs.
- NUR 413 Nursing Research 3 hrs.
- NUR 423 Advanced Concepts of Pathophysiology 4 hrs.
- NUR 424 Nursing Capstone 3 hrs.
NUR 405 and NUR 424 include a clinical/lab component. In addition, all required Nursing support courses must be completed prior to beginning the nursing plan of study. This include:
- ENG 105 College Composition and Writing 3 hrs.
- ENG 201 Writing and Research about Literature 3 hrs.
- BIO 241 Anatomy and Physiology I 4 hrs.
- BIO 242 Anatomy and Physiology II 4 hrs.
- BIO 350 Microbiology 4 hrs.
- CHEM 105 General Chemistry 4 hrs.
- MATH 171 Elementary Statistics 4 hrs.
- PSYC 131 General Psychology 3 hrs.
- PSYC 251 Developmental Psychology 3 hrs.
- SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology 3 hrs.
- COMM 140 Human Communication or COMM 147 Public Speaking or COMM 255 Business Communication 3 hrs.
Transfer credits are possible for all required nursing support courses. Additional courses required by the University was not included in this list. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing requires a minimum of 120 total semester hours to graduate. Requirements for admissions, progression, and graduation, outlined in the Iowa Wesleyan University Catalog, apply to all students including RN to BSN online students with the exception that the Nursing program requires an overall GPA of 2.75 and a grade of C or higher in all Nursing support courses. A grade of 80% or greater is required in all courses in the nursing major. Pursuant to Iowa Administrative Code 6552.8(5), Nursing courses with a clinical Component:
The nursing program shall notify students and prospective students in writing that nursing courses with a clinical component may not be taken by a person:
- Who has been denied licensure by the board?
- Whose license is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in any United States jurisdiction?
Whose license/registration is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in another country due to disciplinary action?
“Iowa Wesleyan was very convenient, working with my crazy schedule of being a 12-hour rotating shift nurse with an active family! Everyone was always very helpful – whether it was personal attention at registration or the support of my professors who were very involved and passionate about my success.”